Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2011

A review for Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Posted by Jessica
Published Date: September 7th, 2010
Finished Date: April 27th, 2011
The Blurb: A hidden truth. Mortal enemies. Doomed love.



Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

The Review: Okay I'm going to try and turn this review into coherent words. Not sure how well that will turn out. But here goes nothing.

By far the BEST YA book I've read in 2011 so far! Fact. Firelight is a new novel by Sophie Jordan, and its amazing. Simply incredible. I couldn't get the book out of my head *cough* Will *cough*. I went to sleep thinking about it, I woke up thinking about it, wanting to read it. To turn those delicious pages to keep getting more. 

Its an all new shifter type book. Instead of wolves, we're focused on dragons. However they aren't called dragons in this book, they haven't been called dragons for generations, they're now called Draki. Descendants of dragons with the ability to manifest back and forth between draki and human forms. We meet Jacinda Jones, the only Firebreather of her Pride, she's to be 'bonded' with Cassian the son of Severin the alpha. Both HUGE Onyx Draki's. Much to Jacinda's displeasure. After flying (illegally you could say) in and around her home, she finds herself in trouble with the alpha. Her mother begs them not to be harsh but they don't listen. So she takes Jacinda and her twin sister Tamra, and they flee to the human world, in the hopes that the reluctant Jacinda will lose her inner Draki and become human, like her mother, and like her sister who never manifested. 

From page one, I was completely hooked to this book. I fell in love with it. Uncontrollably and irrevocably in love with it. Jacinda is a great character, and easy to like. You immediately hope that things work out for her. She's a strong character and doesn't whine! I hate whiny heroines. I felt like Jacinda was a friend that I could have forever. Her mother, well I don't know what to make of her. She pretty much pissed me off through out most of the book, but I can see why she did the things she did. Parents always do it because they think its what's best for their children and should be try to be happy if it makes their children happy. Well Jacinda isn't happy. And she doesn't find happiness. That is until she encounters Will Rutledge. 

Ah Will. Another fictional man to add to my ever growing list of hot fictional characters. Will is the embodiment of sexiness. Really. He's the one that seems to spark Jacinda's inner draki, keeps it alive just as she wants. She finds herself getting closer and closer to him. They're relationship if brilliantly written and very well developed throughout. I loved the idea of him being the hunter and she being his 'prey' so to speak. Not in the kinda creepy stalker sort of way, but the instinct way. The way he was brought up. Against all odds and the glaring eyes of the school skank, and the 'Don't go there' from her sister and mother, their relationship takes a turn for the good and they find themselves falling in love. 

Now lets discuss this ending. Well its not what I expected. It was brilliantly written no doubt about it. It was left ready for the great sequel Vanish which I'm looking forward to. Did I want it to be a happier ending? Yeah of course, but then if that happened would there have been more Will and Jacinda? No there wouldn't be. And I want more Will! There are sooo many possibilities for the next book. I happen to think that Tamra will eventually Manifest. I hope she does. 

Anyway to conclude, Firelight is incredible. I reccommend EVERYONE reads it! EVERYONE! Sophie Jordan is brilliant. A truly wonderful writer. And I'm so incredibly pleased that I read this book. It's given me motivation to read more Sophie Jordan. She's a legend. Firelight, is an instant classic. Wonderful.

READ IT! :)


No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis