Pages

Saturday 2 April 2011

A review for The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney

Posted by Donna
Published Date: January 20th, 2011
Finished Date: March 28th, 2011
The BlurbFreak. That's what they call seventeen-year-old Donna Underwood at Ironbridge High School. A horrific fey attack that killed her father when she was just a child left Donna branded with iron tattoos that cover her hands and arms - and magically enhanced strength, that she now does all she can to hide.


Now, after ten years of wishing for a normal life, Donna finally accepts her role in the centuries-old war against the darkest outcasts of Faerie - the dark elves. Aided by Xan, a gorgeous half-fey dropout, Donna must save her best friend's life - and that means betraying one of the world's greatest secrets and confronting the very thing that destroyed her family.


The Review: The Iron Witch is the first book to a new series by author Karen Mahoney. This is another book for me, that I had for while but didn't fancy reading it but eventually when I picked it up, I did enjoy it.


Donna Underwood is a seventeen year old girl, who was attacked by Fey at the age of seven, leaving her with horrific injuries to her hands and arms. The only way to help Donna, was to heal her hands with magic, by infusing iron and silver into her skin leaving her with iron like tattoo's. When Donna accidentally reveals her world to her best friend Navin Sharma, he is kidnapped by the fey queen and the only person that can help her save him is Xan, a boy that she has more in common with than she ever could imagine.


After seeing so many bad reviews about this book, I was little weary to start, and although I didn't think it was great, it was a good read. I especially enjoyed all the characters. Donna for me, was a great character who was strong and determined through out the story. I really liked the journal entries and that we go to know her character that little bit more. I'll be honest and say I wasn't too keen on Navin, yes, I enjoyed his banter but I found him to be a tad boring and I'm really hoping that Navin is not hiding a secret love for Donna. I did find it confusing when Donna was trying to explain to Navin about her and the alchemists. I kept having to re-read the pages to make sure I fully understood.


Now, Xan! Xan is awesome and hot! I'm so glad he was brought into the story, otherwise I don't think I would of enjoyed it as much as I did. He's also another strong character and I loved his back story. It wasn't one I was expecting but I really enjoyed it and I really hope we get to see more on him in the future. 


Overall, this story is was a good read. There's still a few unanswered questions but with two more books to be released, I look forward to finding out more. 


No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis