Pages

Tuesday 21 June 2011

A review for The Iron King (Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa

Posted by Jessica
Published Date: February 1st, 2010
Finished Date: June 21st, 2011
Source: Brought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 363


The Blurb from Goodreads: Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


The Review: What to say about this book? The Iron King, was fabulous. I've wanted to read it for some time. I heard RAVE reviews about the series, and in the end I bought the first 3, and I'm glad I did.

The Iron King is a mix of faery tales and mythology, two of my favorite things in the world. Julie Kagawa creates a fantastical world that pulls you in. Just by Julie Kagawa's writing, all her descriptions, I was able to imagine this world and truly feel like I was apart of it. The characters are witty, mysterious and totally believable. You instantly like Meghan Chase, she's pretty strong all things considered. All the side characters are awesome especially Puck, who just turns a serious situation into a funny joke, and it just lightens the atmosphere. Grim the cat is fantastic with his one liner of "I am a cat", which basically says "I don't give a f*ck". Nice. The relationship between Ash and Meghan was beautifully written, it wasn't dragged on (in this book), and it didn't happen as fast as most books did. All their scenes are wonderful. And yep, I'm partial to the dark, brooding bad boys. I loved the concept that she is Summer and he is Winter, that created a nice friction between the two, but still managed to see their relationship grow into some sort of 'starcrossed lovers' affection. 

The story line was well thought out, and pretty much had me from page one. It was written well, and the introduction to all the different faery creatures was wonderful. Goblins, dragons, rat packs (those guys ROCK), piskies etc...all wonderfully written and well thought out. 

The ending was great, not what I was expecting but hey a faery contract, is a faery contract. 

Overall this was a wonderful read, I'm so glad I read it. It's a fabulous story, and I recommend it to everyone. 

On with The Iron Daughter!

5 comments:

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

Awesome review Jess! Couldnt have said it better (:

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Great review. I love this series and think it gets better and better with each book :)

Book Passion for Life said...

I'm already loving The Iron Daughter. I just wish I didn't have to work today lol. Ash is being a jerk, but I know why he has to be. Still, I'd like to punch him in the face right now.
Jess

Bookish Brunette said...

I LOOOOOVED this book like so hard dude!!
Zombie Craze 2011 has begun!!

Books for Company said...

Can't wait for your thoughts on The Iron Daughter! =)
I agree, everything is well thought out in this book, Julie is a great writer.

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis