Pages

Friday 5 August 2011

A Review for Supernaturally (Paranormalcy #2) by Kiersten White

Posted by Donna
Published Date: July 26th, 2011
Finished Date: August 5th, 2011
Publishers: HarperCollins
Source: UK Swap's Travelling Book
Format: Hardback
Pages: 336
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees. So much for normal.But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.
<
The Review: Where to start with this review? I’m not quiet sure. Well if I’m honest, Supernaturally kind of fell short me, I liked it but I didn’t love it.

The story follows Evie who is getting used to life without the IPCA, she’s going to school, she’s dating Lend who is away at College and only see’s on the weekend and she’s living with Arianne but of course, Evie didn’t expect for things to be so…..boring. When IPCA unexpectedly come back into her life, Evie is thrown back into the life with paranormals and that includes her ex-boyfriend Reth, who has been hiding some startling secrets from Evie…..one’s that involves who and what she really is.

Firstly I loved Paranormalcy, I really did. I thought it was exciting, fresh and full of action but Supernaturally wasn’t. I felt suffered with the second book syndrome and I just didn’t think much happened. I know I know, apparently second books are always the hardest to write but I still can’t help feeling slightly disappointed that it wasn’t as good as I hoped. Maybe my expectations were too high….I’m not sure.

However, despite all that it was great being back with our characters. Evie is an absolute gem, I love her. Her sense of humour and her personality is really what makes these books for me. She went through completely different emotions and I really felt she developed as a character. It was nice to see a different side to her. But I have to say, I missed Tasey! There wasn’t enough Tasey for me. I still loved the ‘bleeps’ though and it was good to hear Lend use it too. I do wish Lend was in it a bit more though, he wasn’t in it enough as I would off liked and when he was around, it wasn’t great because of the IPCA getting in the way. So I’m looking forward to Evie and Lend getting back on track in the next book.

We’re also introduced to Jack in this story…. And I’m honestly going to say it right now, I loved Jack! I was laughing out loud at his quirky comments and antic’s. He’s sense of humour was fantastic, he’s like a little kid in a sweet shop. It’s a shame how it ended but hopefully, we see more of him in the future.

The storyline itself was okay. It wasn’t exciting as the first book but it has left me with a few unanswered questions that I’m looking forward to finding out in the next book.

Overall, Kiersten White has created an awesome series, even though I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I would of liked, I still enjoyed the characters and the general plot of where the story is going so I will definitely continue reading the series. I just hope we get some more action, more Tasey time and more Lend time!

3 comments:

Liz. R said...

I've been really looking forward to this one, but have been worried it might not be as good as the first one. Glad you enjoyed it even if you didn't love it - thanks for the review!

Jules said...

Oh no! But I suppose the first one really set a high standard to live up to :)

I really Loved Paranormalcy more than I thought I would and I'm looking forward to reading this one at some point - hopefully soon.

Great review as always

Alyssa_Susanna said...

I have to agree with your estimation of Jack... he's so cute! Adorable! I really liked him, like when he was jumping up and down on her bed. This book was okay. I read it a long time ago, and can't really remember the details. It wasn't memorably good for me. I like Paranormalcy because it was different from most YA books. Supernaturally just wasn't the greatest sequel. I'll have to re-read both Paranormalcy and Supernaturally in order to read Endlessly. Or just not read Endlessly. It wouldn't hurt me. It came out like a week ago. Whatever lol. Thanks for the reivew!!!! :)

Alyssa Susanna <3

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis