Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

A Review for Between the Land and the Sea by Derrolyn Anderson

Posted by Donna
Published Date: March 19th, 2011
Finished Date: October 4th, 2010
Source: For Review
Format: Kindle
Pages: 261
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Something extraordinary is lurking in the deep ocean waters off the coast of Aptos, California. Just a few weeks after moving to the beach town, sixteen year-old Marina has nearly drowned twice, enchanted the hottest guy in high school, and discovered a supernatural creature. If she can manage to survive her increasingly dangerous encounters with unpredictable mermaids, she might just be able to unlock the mystery of her past and learn how to appease the mysterious forces that seem to want something from her... and maybe even find true love along the way.
<
The Review: 3.5 out of 5. I love a Mermaid book and when I found out Between the Land and the Sea was based around Mermaid’s, I was instantly looking forward to it. Admittedly it did take me a while to get to it, but once I started I knew it was going to be a series I was going to really like.

Between the Land and the Sea follows the life of a young girl named Marina. Marina lost her mother at a young age and her dad is going to work abroad leaving Marina no choice but to move to Aptos, California to live with her Aunt Abby and Cousin Cruz. Marina clearly doesn’t want to be there but she is more than shocked when she immediately feels at home. She finds that she loves the beach, she loves the water but she sometimes feels like the calls water calls to her. Marina soon finds out there are hidden secrets in Aptos that somehow involve her and her mother, and that her destiny is awaiting her and it’s not what she originally had planned.

This was one of them books that captivated you right from the start. I’m really glad Derrolyn sent me this to review because it was a really pleasant read that was easy to follow and really enjoyable. Derrolyn has created an intriguing story and I was eager to know more. I loved the whole concept of the Mermaids and how their story tied into Marina’s but what I loved most was how descriptive and imaginative Derrolyn was with the details. It truly makes you imagine the whole story.

The characters were great to read about too. Marina is a very likable girl. I connected with her quite well and enjoyed her as a character. Cruz, Abby & Megan were all great secondary characters with Cruz being my favourite. I loved his fashion design and his enthusiasm. And then there’s Ethan. He’s so adorable. I love how protective and caring he was and I loved him in general. He’s was an excellent choice for a love interest and I really enjoyed watching his and Marina’s relationship develop.

I don’t really have anything bad to say about this book as it was enjoyable and I will look forward to the next two books in the series.

Thank you to Derrolyn Anderson for asking me to review this book. 

5 comments:

Carina said...

I got this for review, too, and will hopefully get to it soon. I'm glad you liked it - makes me looking forward to read this even more. I haven't read many mermaid stories so far, so I'm excited to get to read this.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, hun. :)
Carina

Book Passion for Life said...

Thanks Carina! If you haven't read anything else you soooo need to check out Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs!!!!! It's a must!!! Lol

Unknown said...

'walking blogger'. .please visit us and follow.i'll follow you back.thanks..

_yay_ said...

I got this for reviewing purposes, too, but my plate is SO full. Anyone interested in taking over for me? Haven't read the book and would email it to you / delete mine. The author stated in her email that it would be ok to forward the request to other bloggers.
sk_86(at)gmx(dot)de
or
@_yay_ (Twitter)
Great review by the way!!!

Shilpa Mudiganti said...

Mermaid seems to be the trend now. I like mermaids too!

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis