Pages

Sunday 5 February 2012

Dreams Both Real and Strange I & II by K W McCabe

Posted by Guest Reviewer Melanie
Published Date: November 16th, 2011
Finished Date: January 31st, 2012
Source: For Review 
Format: Kindle
Page: Unknown 
<
The Blurb from Amazon: An anthology of short stories. A collection of fantasy, horror, and dark tales.
Choices: A Short Story - The Reaper requires an answer to a question: what choice would you make?
Rebirthed: A Short Story- Dreams of Rebirth 
The Lake: A Short Story - A ghost story
Mourning: A Short Story - Mourning and regrets
Wraith: A Short Story - Anne is kidnapped by Wraith, and Lena must rescue her. But all three are wrapped in a web of selfishness, hatred, and cruelty- what will it take to redeem them all?
<
Melanie's Ratings on Book I: 
Choices: Very short but with some potential. I was very curious about the mysterious messenger. 3*s
Rebirthed:  Dreams of Rebirth
It was Ok, very imaginative. 2*s
The Lake:  A ghost story
A nice, eerie story with an unexpected twist. 3*s
Mourning:  Mourning and regrets
Again, very short but thought provoking 3*s
Wraith: This was the best story & the longest of the book and even though it was a ‘to be continued’ I liked it a lot and wanted more. 3*s

Book II - Posted by Guest Reviewer Melanie
Published Date: November 16th, 2011
Finished Date: January 31st, 2012
Source: For Review 
Format: Kindle
Page: Unknown 

The Blurb from Amazon: An anthology of fantastical tales:
Choices: The reaper must save his daughter from eternal bondage to Death.
Siren: A Short Story
Muse: A Short Story
Mourning: A Son’s Good-bye
Escape: A Short Story
Wraith: Anne, Wraith and Lena must find a way to break the curse before it destroys them all.
>
Melanie's Rating for Book II: 
An anthology of fantastical tales:
Choices: The reaper must save his daughter from eternal bondage to Death.
This is a continuation of the story in the first book and it was quite good, I liked the character a lot and the whole premise. 3.5*s
Siren: This was very short and sweet but likable. 2.5*s
Muse: Unfortunately, I just didn’t get this at all. 1*
Mourning: A Son’s Good-bye. Told from the sons’ POV of the man in book 1, something to think about. 2.5*s
Escape: I Liked it. 3*s
Wraith: Anne, Wraith and Lena must find a way to break the curse before it destroys them all. - Again really good, stood out as one of two best stories and I enjoyed it. 3.5*s
Extra Short Story! Fairy Foibles
A quite funny story about the best intentions turning into the worst possible outcomes. 3*s

The Review: I am reviewing these books together, in my opinion they could have been one book. I enjoyed these short stories, some weren’t more than a page long but always thought provoking. I would say they were easy to read, quite imaginative and a nice way to spend a couple of hours. I think what made these books for me were the longer stories – Choices & Wraith. I would love to see a longer book of them, maybe brought up to date in the modern world. I think they would make a good read by modernising them and maybe introducing a romantic element, it would do wonders for them and I would read it. I only had a problem with Muse, I just didn’t get it at all, but that didn’t affect the rest of the book at all which was good. I didn’t like the way Choices and Wraith were split over the two books either, if it were me and I needed to split them, I would have part one at the beginning of the book and part two at the end, one larger story per book not split and put in separate books, what if a reader couldn’t get hold of book two and was left unsatisfied – I like a conclusion not to be left in the air. All in all though it was a nice read with some good short stories, I liked it.

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis