Pages

Thursday 14 February 2013

A Review for Sever (The Chemical Gardens #3) by Lauren DeStefano

Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)Posted by Donna 
Release Date: February 14th, 2013
Finished Date: February 9th, 2013
Publishers: Harper Vovager 
Source: For Review 
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US / The Book Depo

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.

The Review: I can't believe I've just turned the last page in Sever; the third and final book in Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series (sob sob). I was expecting great things from this book and even now, I'm still in awe by Lauren's ability to deliver a finale that was so unpredictable, and one that had such a fantastic and enthralling conclusion.

In this thrilling finale, we see Rhine trying to escape Vaughn's evil clutches and trying to continue her search for her brother; Rowan. But of course, things are as rocky as ever, as more secrets are revealed, revealing Rhine and Rowan's place is more important than ever to finding the Cure.

Sever was a brilliant finale and I honestly can't fault the story one bit. I've always been a fan of Rhine's and this time around, I thought she did a lot of growing up during the story. She realises that the fate of her own life  is controlled by Vaughn and while he's in the way, she will never have the life she wants. I've always found Rhine to be a great narrative, I don't find her whiny or boring and I really enjoy her as a character. Sometimes I wish she'd speak up more for herself but she's always thinking ahead and knowing that sometimes thinking aloud can get her in more trouble. One thing I admire about her is her relationship with her sister wives, especially Cecily. No matter how many times Cecily betrays her, they still remain close and she cherishes the time she has with her. It's very touching to see that these two girls came together in a difficult situation but now at the end, they have each other forever. 

Linden, my sweet Linden. I do love him so very much. After Fever I wasn't sure who I wanted Rhine to end up with but while I was waiting for the release of Sever, I decided I wanted her to be with Linden (even knowing it would probably never happen). Maybe if they'd met like to two normal people, they could have had a chance at happiness but in a world where all your choices are taken away from you, they never stood a chance. What I loved about them together was they had a deep bond, they clearly loved each other, maybe not in a lover way but still what they had was some kind of love. I never really understood the relationship Linden had with Cecily though (and I'm not just talking about the age difference) there's relationship just didn't click for me, I always thought Rhine was a better choice for him.

And Gabriel again, he's more like a secondary character, the same as the previous books and to be honest, I didn't miss him at all. He's a big part of Rhine's life and the only thing I can fault the author on is Gabriel. He just wasn't what I wanted in a love interest. He's.......oh, forgive me Gabriel fans for saying this but he's just so boring. He doesn't have any sex appeal about him and I think he lacks personality. Least with Linden I had something to root for...and really, Linden had sex appeal.

There's so many other characters that play roles in this series and we're introduced to new characters like Reed; Linden's Uncle who fast became a favourite of mine, and because the characters were so great, it's one of the things that I'm going to miss most.

And the ending; even though I see why what had to happened, happened. I'm still sad about it for one character. I guess I just wanted a happy ending for everyone. But despite the ending, I still loved this book because again, I see why it had to happened. Lauren DeStefano creates a series that is unique and so brilliantly crafted that it's hard not to love it. She definitely manages to deliver a fantastic ending and it's one I definitely won't forget.

1 comment:

isabella said...

I would like to know with who ends Rihne? xx

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis