Pages

Monday 15 July 2013

A Review for Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11) by J.R Ward

Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11)Posted by Donna
Release Date: March 28th 2013
Finished Date: July 9th, 2013
Publishers:  Piatkus
Source: For Review
Format: Hardback 
Pages: 591
Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another.... 

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand. 

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.

The Review: 4.5 Flowers! 

“You've always had me ... and my heart. My soul. Everything. I wish it hadn't taken this long for me to man up.” 

It's only been recently that I finally discovered the addictive world of the Brotherhood and each and every time I finish a book, I want more. Qhuinn and Blay have always been favourites of mine from the beginning, so I was more than excited for them to finally get their story. 

Admittedly, I was a bit hesitant to read their story too, mainly because this is my first adventure into a male/male relationship, but JR really blew me away with it. Everything was done tastefully and so very real and raw. It was beautiful and emotional and there was no holding back. Qhuinn and Blay's personalities really shone through-out all their moments and I loved every minute of it, even with all the angst. They really were given a fantastic story and I'm excited to see what comes next for them. At times I did want them to get their act together but, I think it's just added to the insensitivity of their story - every minute was so nail-biting. 

What I loved most was how Qhiunn, Blay and Layla's story were woven together. It's a strange relationship but it's works so well for them. I really am a fan of Layla's - I love how strong she is and she's really learning to stand on her own two feat. Watching Qhiunn and Layla's relationship play out is really a touching one - they've come together for one purpose, to have a young and I'm super excited to see what happens next.

With each book JR seems to introduce more and more side stories. This time we see the Layla, the Band of Brothers, Trez, Vassil and so many more, and while at times I do enjoy seeing what the others are up to, I just wish it wasn't so damn much. For nearly a 600 page story, Qhiunn and Blay's story is only half of that, so they don't get as much time in the spotlight as I would have liked. The problem is, the other characters stories tend to put a downer on the overall story, at times it's boring and very hard to concentrate on. Mainly because just as something happens with Qhiunn and Blay, JR will pull you away from them and start focusing on other people. I constantly have to force myself to read all the pages and not flick through. I know I'm not the only person who had this problem too and while I still loved the book, but only for Qhiunn, Blay, Layla, Xcor and Trez's stories, I wish JR wouldn't focus so much on the other characters so much. 

And of course, I wonder what will come for all of my lovable characters in the next book, The King. I'm worried! I can see big things happening and I'm pretty scared!! Eek! 

Even though I had problems with this book, my 4.5 star rating is based purely Qhuinn and Blay's story! If you were to ask me about the other part, I'd say a 2 star rating but it's 'just okay'. 

2 comments:

Danny Bookworm said...

Shit (sorry) I still need to read it!! I mean I LOVE this series so bad and I still haven't read it ... We all have been waiting so long for these too to get together.


Oh and I'm actually looking forward to THE KING!

Natalie Cleary said...

Need to start this series. Everyone loves them :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis