Pages

Thursday 9 April 2015

{Audio Review} Better When He's Bad (Welcome to the Point #1) by Jay Crownover

20693944Posted by Donna
Release Date: June 14th, 2014
Finished Date: March 24th, 2015
Publishers: Harper Audio
Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Audiobook
Length: 10 hrs and 32 mins 
Narrated by: Mia Barron, Leland King
Welcome to the Point . . .

There's a difference between a bad boy and a boy who's bad. . . . Meet Shane Baxter.

Sexy, dark, and dangerous, Bax isn't just from the wrong side of the tracks, he is the wrong side of the tracks. A criminal, a thug, and a brawler, he was the master of bad choices, until one such choice landed him in prison for five years. Now Bax is out and looking for answers, and he doesn't care what he has to do or who he has to hurt to get them. But there's a new player in the game, and she's much too innocent, much too soft . . . and standing directly in his way.

Dovie Pryce knows all about living a hard life and the tough choices that come with it. She's always tried to be good, tried to help others, and tried not to let the darkness pull her down. But the streets are fighting back, things have gone from bad to worse, and the only person who can help her is the scariest, sexiest, most complicated ex-con the Point has ever produced.

Bax terrifies her, awakening feelings she never thought she'd have for a guy like him. But it doesn't take Dovie long to realize . . . some boys are just better when they're bad.

The Review: I love Jay Crownover’s Marked Men series, so that immediately made me want to read her Welcome to the Point series. Like any other girl, I love a good bad boy but are the bad boys we read about ever truly bad? Well Jay Crownover has taken it upon herself to show what it truly means to read about a bad boy and Shane Baxter is as bad as they come.

I’ve got to say, this has definitely become my favourite audiobook that I’ve listened to so far. I know I haven’t listening to that many – maybe 15 or so, but still Better When He’s Bad is a firm favourite. From the moment I started listening to it, I was gripped and that has a lot do with the narrators narrating the story because Leland King and Mia Barron did a fantastic job. I’ve never listened to anything from them before but this won’t be my last because like I said, they were great. They did the narration of the story perfect and really managed to capture the emotions of the characters so well. 

But it was the plot of the story that blew me away. I absolutely loved it. It was hot, sexy, dangerous, edgy, gripping, real and so exciting. You just never know what’s going to happen in the point. It’s in a world of its own, where rules don’t apply and it’s freaking scary what goes on there. The fact that Bax is from the point – has lived there all his life – it’s no wonder he turned out the way he did, but just because he’s bad, it doesn’t mean there isn’t some good left in him, because there is. ;)

I really loved Dovie as a character. Although she isn’t originally from the point, she’s still familiar with it and doesn’t shy away from what happens there. She’s smart about living where she does and with Bax coming into her life it really was a good thing. I loved that she doesn’t try to change Bax. She takes him as he is. It proves how much of a strong character she is. 

And then we have Race – Bax’s best friend and Dovie’s older brother. It’s hard to work him out in the story because of the things he’s done, whether they were intentional or not. So I’m looking forward to reading more in Better When He’s Bold. 

In all, Better When He’s Bad is a fantastic read and one I recommend you reading this year! 

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis