Pages

Thursday 24 March 2016

{Review} Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu

17800966Posted by Donna
Release Date: November 29th, 2011
Finished Date: January 30th, 2016
Publishers: Putnam Juvenile
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Source: Bought
Format: Hardcover 
Pages: 305
Buy: Amazon UK Amazon US / Book Depo 
 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors.

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles.

Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect.
Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

The Review: “You’re brilliant,” he says. “But you’re a fool to stay with someone like me.” I close my eyes at the touch of his hand. “Then we’re both fools.”

This being one of my favourite dystopia series I decided that it was time to re-read the series and see if I still felt the same about it. Well even for the second time around this has completely surpassed my expectations and Legend is a powerful, addictive and fast paced novel that is action packed, with an explosive story line and a love story that will leave you begging for more.

June and Day are both fifteen years old who both live in completely different worlds and both will do anything for the ones they love. The only thing is Day is the world’s most wanted criminal and June is the super intelligent girl working for the Republic. When Day breaks into a hospital to try to find medicine for his sick brother, he is accused of murdering June’s brother, Metias leading June to make it her mission to hunt down Day and capture him so he can no longer run around the streets of Los Angeles’. However, when June finally meets Day he’s not like how the Republic have made him out to be - he’s kind, sweet and not at all a monster. So who should June believe Day or the Republic?

I’m so thrilled to have loved this book just as much the second time around if not more. Marie Lu captivated me from start to finish and made me want to continue reading about the story and characters even after I’d finished the book and even though I knew the general plot of the story its scary how much I had really forgotten since the last time I read it. 

I love how very unique the characters were and how much re-reading them again made me feel like I’d been reunited with long lost friends. Both June and Day are portrayed as very different characters but if anything they are more alike than anyone else. They are very smart, very brave and very loyal and even with everything going on in their crazy world; they manage to stay true to themselves. 

The romance in this book isn’t the main focus, it’s the back story and something you know is there but doesn’t truly reveal itself until the very last moment. I remember reading it for the first time wishing for more romance but the second time around I think it was just the right touch. It’s a slow burning one – one that makes you love it even though it isn’t truly there yet.  And with that awesome sending, the ending it did leave me a very content and satisfied reader. 

Overall, Marie Lu has created a fascinating, dangerous and thrilling world with Legend, one full of exciting twists and turns, full of betrayal and hidden secrets that will have you sitting on the edge of your sit until the very last page. A must read for any dystopian fan! 

**This is an updated version of my first review which you can read HERE**
 

No comments:

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis